The New Synagogue, which was the main temple of the Berlin Jewish community, was built between 1859 and 1866. The temple, which had seating for up to 3,000 people, was the venue a violin concert given by Albert Einstein in 1930.
The temple building survived the Kristallnacht pogrom in 1938 because a local police officer ordered the Nazis, who had smashed the furnishings and set them on fire, to leave because the building was a protected historical landmark. He then called the fire department to put out the blaze before the actual building caught fire.
During WWII, the Nazis used the building for the storage of uniforms and although the building was badly damaged by allied bombing of the city during the war, the front section was rebuilt following the fall of the Berlin wall in 1989.
Currently there are a handful of synagogues in Berlin. They tend to look very plain on the outside so as not to draw attention to themselves. Shown here is the Pestalozzi Street Synagogue.