Regensburg Town Hall
The Town Hall building was built during the 13th century. From 1663 to 1806 the Imperial Diet (highest general assembly) of the Holy Roman Empire met here. Today the building is a museum with a torture chamber in the basement.
Notice the two figures above the entrance. They are named Schutz and Trutz (Protection and Defiance). Their job is to keep the city safe. Right below them, the keys to the city are carved into the wall.